In an unusual twist, the Pure Kona Coffee amps up the rub’s herbal Hawaiian flavors as well as adding subtle texture to the traditional burger.
Pure Kona Coffee-Rubbed Cheeseburgers Ingredients:
- Coffee rub:
- 1 tablespoon pure Kona coffee, fresh ground
- 2 teaspoons (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 slices applewood-smoked bacon
- 1 pound ground chuck (preferably grass-fed)
- 1 pound ground sirloin (preferably grass-fed)
- 8 slices smoked provolone, smoked caciocavallo, or smoked Gouda cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 8 potato-bread hamburger buns
- 8 slices red onion
- 8 slices tomato
Pure Kona Coffee Barbecue Sauce
- Your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tbs pure kona coffee fine ground added to each bottle of barbecue sauce
- For coffee rub:
- Mix all ingredients in small bowl. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
- For burgers:
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Break in half. Gently mix chuck and sirloin in large bowl. Form meat into 8 patties, each 3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter and 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. Using thumb, make slight indentation in center of each burger. DO AHEAD: Burgers and bacon can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover separately and chill.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of Pure Kona Coffee rub on top side of each burger. Place burgers, rub side down, on grill rack. Grill until slightly charred, about 4 minutes; turn.
- Place 2 bacon slice halves atop each burger. Cook 3 minutes.
- Top each with 1 cheese slice. Cover and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute longer. Place burgers atop bottom halves of buns. Top with onion slices and tomato slices. Spoon dollop of Pure Kona barbecue sauce over. Cover with bun tops and serve, passing additional sauce alongside.
- Drink Kona:
- Beer is a natural pairing for a burger. Keep the Hawaiian theme going by pouring a Kona brew. We like the caramel sweetness and mild hoppy flavor of Kona brew.
Pure kona Coffee test-kitchen tip:
Making a small indentation in the center of the patty before cooking ensures a nice, flat burger.
Originally posted 2017-04-02 19:04:46.